Thursday, January 26, 2012

Is it ethical of me to pop my friend's happy religous bubble?

I am an atheist, and I was talking with a friend of mine about religion. He is kind of a simple person, but very happy and content, and I am a very persuasive person. I am afraid that if I start having a serious discussion with him about my lack of religion i might cast doubt on his belief or otherwise undermine his sense of contention. Sometimes I wish I was able to be simple and happy like him, and I wouldn't want to ruin it. I mean if makes him happy thinking that jesus loves him, who am I to dissuade him?Is it ethical of me to pop my friend's happy religous bubble?
Exactly my point..So many atheists are so incredibly determined to "prove" that God isn't real. Why? What is the point? As you said, if someone is happy and content believing that there is a higher power which they can turn to, then what's in it for you to try and confuse him about his beliefs?? Respect his beliefs just as he respects yours/or lack there of.
I say leave him to it (also a pretty convinced atheist). If he tries to shove it in your face drop him a few clues but really, if he's a simple person, it isn't doing anyone any harm, and it makes him happy... why ruin it? Only really have a problem with religion when it invades my personal space or causes people to do crazy and unjust things (including teaching their kids that science is the devil and attmepting to home-school them - yikes!), otherwise I think its something that does actually help people through things.



Jim.Is it ethical of me to pop my friend's happy religous bubble?
Debate and truth is always a good endeavor. Religiosity is a social cohesion thing. Understanding that religious attraction is social rather than factual is difficult for some. To change someone's perception from absolute factual to an understanding of social support and cohesion is a worthy endeavor. Of course if they understand religion as "truth" they will have difficulty in such a realization.
It has nothing to do with ethics, it does, however, it will also show your lack of the virtues of consideration and respect for those who are free to believe as they wish to believe (as governed by the Constitution).



(I love Jehovah God and Jesus, btw)Is it ethical of me to pop my friend's happy religous bubble?
He is your friend so you are to have to talk to him about it eventually. And i don't think he is happy he is ignorant. Better to know the truth even if it makes him not happy.
With the preponderance of evidence greatly in his favor, any intelligent discussion will lead to your belief in Christianity. It is he that should understand he will be popping your bubble of ignorance.
You overestimate both your intelligence and your power of persuasion.



Sadly, narcissists are profoundly treatment resistant.



~Dr. B.~
1. if he truly believes jesus loves him, trust me, you won't be able to dissuade him. i know from personal experience, and i am FAR from a simple person.



2. if he is happy and content, why would u want to do anything that would jeopardize his happiness? perhaps u are not happy and content, therefore you want him to come down to your level because watching him live a happy life is too much for you to bear (perhaps subconciously)



3. go ahead and ask. if all your looking for is a serious conversation, then you have to be willing to hear his side, no matter how "simple" he may be, because otherwise you won't understand how he's so happy and you'll continue to think he's just a simple minded individual. (not saying he isn't, but not saying he is.) until you hear the reason for his devotion from HIS mouth, then you'll never understand, and you'll only rob yourself of knowledge that could perhaps help you in the future when dealing with other like-minded individuals as your friend.



4. but don't do it if all your going to do is try to discredit everything he says. that doesn't get anything accomplished. if you do it, which i think you should, let him voice his opinion uninterrupted, and then you can do the same. and then its his turn. and then its yours. etc

No comments:

Post a Comment